Bloomington Daily Photo

A daily photo of Bloomington, Indiana by M.K. Flem$ta, drahcir, AlexB, and Joe Near.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Showalter Fountain

This is a photo I took of the Showalter Fountain which is right in front of the IU Auditorium which hosts many of our yearly musicals and plays. The fountain was funded by Grace Montgomery Showalter, the fountain features a two-ton sculpture illustrating "The Birth of Venus." Faculty member Robert Laurent designed it. However, I'm not quite sure how long it's been around. Supposedly, each year one of the fish gets stolen, yet replaced after graduation. Neat tradition!

8 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

Lovely shot! how many fish in the fountain?

4:23 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

My favorite Showalter myth is that Venus will come to life if a virgin graduates from IU.

Sadly, it was also badly damaged during the Bobby Knight "riots".

I lived, studied and worked in Bloomington from 1993-2001, and it is one of my favorite places. Thanks for showing parts of it!

1:27 PM  
Blogger M.K. Flem$ta said...

Kris- I'm not quite sure how many fish are inside! I'll count next time and let you know!

Sarah- Thanks for the comment! Any requests? Where did you work?

1:43 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Well, mostly I studied but I did work for two years at the Lion.

Gosh, so many favorite places, so many potential requests. I had a hard time finding online good photos of the Beck Chapel recently...that might make a good one.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

4:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home